Friday, October 9, 2009

Donovan is One Year Old!!

We can't believe how fast Donovan's first year has gone. Donovan is now a little toddler who walks everywhere and is starting to run. He loves to climb onto things (chairs, tables, you name it), stand up, and shake his arms around in the air. He is developing his fine motor skills and really enjoys feeding himself with a spoon (though he usually ends up covered in whatever food he's eating). He only has a couple of words ("mama" when he's really sad and wants me to get him, "mum?" when he wants more), but he is very expressive. He loves to cuddle and loves to read. I'm not sure which is his favorite book, but he loves it when I (or Nicholas) read him "Hey Diddle Diddle". When he's not reading or climbing or running around, he's probably pushing a truck or a train around the living room floor. He's not a great sleeper, but we keep working on that. He usually wakes up 1 or 2 times in the night and takes short naps (at least compared to Nicholas). Finally, he and Nicholas are becoming great friends. Donovan loves waking Nicholas up in the morning or after naps, he loves running around in Nicholas' room, and they love playing together. (Nicholas really enjoys teaching Donovan about things like taking turns, sharing, how to use different toys, etc.)

Donovan's first birthday was a really fun day for us!! The morning of the 7th started out like most others... the boys got up... they wandered around the upstairs with their toothbrushes... I thought about getting them dressed... we wandered downstairs to have some milk and cheerios... I got a call from my brother Donovan who's been traveling for the past few weeks (WI to CO to OR to WA, and on his way to Vancouver Island)... I get a call from Doug... I thought about changing the boys out of their pajamas... Then the DOORBELL RINGS... I thought about ignoring it (since I figured it was probably the UPS delivery man and I was still in my bathrobe), but I instead peered out from behind the curtain... to find MY BROTHER DONOVAN!!! What a wonderful surprise!!! Donovan booked a last minute flight from Seattle, WA to come spend Donovan's first birthday with him. We all loved having Donovan here and only wished that he could have spent more than a few days with us







Nicholas chose the design for the cake. He wanted a fish named "Nemo". Doug did a great job decorating, and Nicholas helped by adding "sprinkles".

















Donovan, Donovan, Nicholas, and I were able to spend a lot of nice time together in the last couple of days. We hiked half-way up to the Skiway (and had lunch in the loft of the Dartmouth Outing Club shelter that I stayed in on my freshman trip at Dartmouth). The colors are in their peak out here... so, it is beautiful to just drive around.







Donovan also taught Nicholas all about "water balloons". Only one popped in the house, so it was a success. They also spent a lot of time blowing bubbles outside and developed a game (not sure who came up with the idea) of using the hose to pop the bubbles. They both returned to the house drenched!!!









Since I've been a little slow in posting pictures, here are a few more from a couple of weeks ago. We drove down to Lexington to see Beth, Dave, Nathan, Benji, and Nana and Bapa. All four boys spent a good bit of time playing on the playground at Nathan's elementary school.












Nicholas is getting really good at giving himself a bath and getting his hair wet (a new skill).










No comments: